Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why Start a Blog?

First of all, I should say that I absolutely detest the word "blog." Really? That's the best we could do? Blog sounds like something you'd get a side of in a Vietnamese restaurant. But whatever.

My wife and I were on a walk last week, and she says "I think you should start a blog." I say "Ok. Why?" She responds with something like "because you write well, you have unique opinions, and I think people would read it." Translation: You were on the newspaper staff in high school, and you're cranky enough that people might actually get a kick out of your quirky complaints.

I am fairly opinionated when it comes to most things. Music, Politics, Pop Culture, Society in general, etc. But really, the thing that drives me the most is sports. My life moves from baseball season to football season to hockey season to the most glorious of seasons: college basketball. Sports are what keep me going when it's 8 degrees outside with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

So why did I title this thing "The Jaded Sports Fan"? Well, let me share with you my favorite sports teams, and see if you can figure it out:
  • The Kansas City Royals - Last made the playoffs in 1985. I was 5. Have finished above .500 once since I can remember. Perpetually in "rebuilding" mode. Pretty much the worst franchise in professional sports.
  • The Buffalo Bills - Really? You need an explanation here? 4 straight Super Bowl losses, followed by 17 years of damn near unwatchable crap.
  • The Buffalo Sabres - Brett Hull's BS goal. The phantom goal. Team bankruptcy. Lots of early playoff exits.
  • Missouri Basketball - Tyus Edney. Quin Snyder. Scandal after scandal, and disappointing season after disappointing season. Frank Haith's gonna turn things around, though, right?
  • Missouri Football - Hey, I absolutely love what Gary Pinkel has done with our program. With that being said, I think we're in for a lot of losses in the Fart.com Bowl in the coming years.
What's missing from the teams above? Championships. As much as I love sports, I have no idea what it's like to experience one of my teams winning a big one. No parades. No parties. Just lack of playoffs and crappy bowl losses. After almost 32 years of this garbage, I think I've earned the right to be a bit cranky.

So that's where the name comes from. I was going to name it "The Travelling Cowgirl Blog" but some goofus already has that name.

I'll be discussing more than just sports, though. Those who know me know that I don't really shy away from expressing my opinion. In fact, I really don't like anyone or anything. So maybe my wife was right. Maybe I will be good at this. You'll have to come back and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment