Saturday, September 10, 2011

Arizona State 37 - Missouri 30 (OT)

Ordinarily, I'd be disappointed by a loss like this. Missouri didn't play great, battled back from a 2 TD deficit in the 4th, had the game won, and still ended up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. A month ago, this was a game I had down as a certain victory for Missouri. But based on the rash of injuries they suffered, and with the way they played against Miami-Ohio last weekend, I quickly changed my expectations. This wasn't a game I expected Missouri to win. I expected Missouri's defense to really clamp down and hold ASU to a couple of scores, and I expected Missouri's offense to struggle. What I got was the exact opposite.

For starters, I think we've got ourselves a quarterback at the University of Missouri. James Franklin looked like a completely different player than the one we saw against Miami. Last weekend, he lacked confidence. He was almost too afraid to make a mistake. Last night he played with confidence, he took chances, and he looked like a player that will follow in the footsteps of his predecessors and have great success at Missouri. James Franklin kept Missouri in that ballgame when their defense was doing everything they could to keep ASU in it. Well done, Jimbo. And holy Henry Josey. I said all last year I thought he was Missouri's best RB. I think he proved that last night. I'd give the offense a B+ for last night's effort.

I know they've had some injuries on defense. Jacquiese Smith and Will Ebner going out last week really hurt Missouri. But I think I can count on one hand the number of times that Missouri put significant pressure on the quarterback. They looked great stopping the run, but it felt like that big bastard could sit in the pocket all day without the defense even attempting to get to him. Also, Missouri's secondary played friggin' terrible. It's never been their strength, but there were blown coverages and flat out bad coverages all over the place last night. So much so that I heard my friend Daniel utter a phrase I never thought I'd hear a human being utter: "I wish we still had Carl Gettis." I love Dave Steckel, and I think the defense will get healthy and pull it together, but last night was not a shining moment for them. A solid C- performance for the Defense.

Holy hell, what a game for Trey Barrow. A 74 yard punt? Are you kidding me? And Grant Ressel is still a great, great placekicker. I feel bad for him. I don't put the 2 missed FGs on him, I put them on the coaching staff (but I'll get to that in a minute). Special Teams Grade: B

I love Gary Pinkel. Athletics-wise, he may be the best thing that's ever happened to my alma mater. But last night, I think he and his assistants absolutely got outcoached. I don't care about the timeout he called that some people think "iced his own kicker." You can't ice a guy like Grant Ressel. Play calling on the final drive (didn't it seem like they were content to just let Ressel kick a 48 yarder for the win? That ain't a chip shot, kids) was atrocious, and I'm not sure they were aware that you still only get 4 downs to get a first in OT. I love what the man has done for our program, but he and his assistants are too stubborn for their own good sometimes. I'd give the coaching staff a C for last night's game.

Overall, I'm pleased with the effort the boys put forward. It was huge for James Franklin to go into a hostile environment like that and play the way he did. Missouri's offense came together last night. The defense needs some work (and needs some guys to get healthy), but it'll be fine. They didn't quit and should have won the game last night. I thought I'd be pissed when I woke up this morning, but I actually feel pretty good about the game. This team will be fine. I've still got them down for 9-3 (additional losses to OU and Okie Lite).

With all that being said, I should mention that I know very little about football. I've never played the sport, nor do I know much about the intricacies. I know less about football than any of the other 3 major sports (4 if you count The Challenge). So take my rant for what it's worth. Go Tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment